Made this poster a few weeks ago for Experimental Type class (taught by the Bruce and Nolan of PostTypography). We had an actual client (monozine.com), who is the promoter for all sorts of shows at Sonar and Ottobar, and everyone got assigned a band/show to make a poster for. In turn, we get a free ticket to see the show we designed for, and we've been encouraged to meet the bands and give prints of the poster as gifts.
I suppose I shall go. At least it's on a Friday night. However, I REALLY want to go see Of Montreal (which Chen got to design the poster for), at Sonar this Tuesday night. But it's a freakin Tuesday night, right in the middle of the most hectic part of my week. And I haven't bought a ticket for it yet (because I can't decide if I'm really gonna go). Oh dear...
Which reminds me, if they actually used the student designed posters, where would it be? I haven't see any of the posters my class designed, but then again, I don't hang out at bars and music venues on a regular basis.
The assignment for this project was to make a documentary animation. And by documentary, really just anything based on something true in real life. I decided to go experimental with this: chose to animate a craigslist posting I found (it's quite hilarious, see it here), and use a medium you would usually never consider using for animation: vine charcoal. And of course, due to time constraints, I editted and cut it down shorter than the original list.
So yeah, very challenging project, and very happy I pulled it off. I was also learning how to use Final Cut while doing this, so if the editting looks a bit amateur-ish, it is.
I'm starting to realize that I like the rough loose drawing quality in my work. Maybe I'll keep at it, who knows.
So this is what an animation stand looks like: The school actually has a couple of these, which is nice, except I didn't feel like using them during the past month I needed to shoot my animation project. Below is my version of an animation stand. I'm quite proud of fashioning one up in my bedroom for the sake of convenience. Tripod, cardboard box, pegbar, and plenty of tape. And that's the mess that resulted in the process of the past month. (it was actually a bit tidier than usual at the moment of taking the picture.)
But it's okay, because I'm all done, and my room is all cleaned up! So happy now.
Stay tuned for the actual animation, coming soon! It's more experimental this time: vine charcoal was the main medium, and the project requirement was a "documentary".